View Single Post
Old Dec 22nd, 2018, 15:06   #531
Army
marches on his stomach

Default Another loose end slowly being tied up...

...eventually.

Another aspect of the external trim situation on the PV that I'm not so keen on is the metal trim that butts up against the paint. When I removed the trim there was loads of trapped muck which was also promoting rust.

Part of the trouble seems to me to be the wire spring clips - not only do they potentially scratch as they go into the bodywork holes - but they seem to be a bit hit and miss at actually holding the trim firmly up against the body - and some of them have started to rust (I'm aware this comment might upset some people - all I can say is that's the impression I've had with my PV - so I'm going to do something about it)

I think it was user "old fart" who drew my attention to a company in the UK called Bresco who supply "T-bolts" for holding trim in position. After a fair amount of ball scratching I've decided I'm going to see if I can utilise these T-bolts with a rubber strip and the original trim to see if I can make a better more water repellent solution.

Based on a few measurements of the trim =>

I've just ordered a load of these clips =>

https://www.bresco.com/acatalog/Moul...5P.html#SID=31

The magical width is 15.6 mm which I reckon is just going to slide in the trim nicely whilst allowing a bit of wriggle space so I can get the trim as straight as possible down the length of the car - I have high hopes this clamping system is going to be more versatile than the original spring clips - and coupled with my rubber strip plans hopefully will be better at keeping the water outside of the car (even if you only get tiny seepage in the worst case scenarios)

The T-bolts will be held in place with wide M4 washers and self locking nuts on the underside of the panels
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1961 Volvo pv544 width of external trim.JPG (192.1 KB, 108 views)
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote