View Single Post
Old Mar 18th, 2019, 13:52   #642
Army
marches on his stomach

Default New tangent today (!)

Blower motor needs a bit of help.

The fan cage floats about a bit too much on the end of the motor shaft. You can pull / push the cage about 5mm backwards and forwards on the motor so something needs to be fixed...

The grub screw on the cage (fits into armature / motor shaft) came out nicely - I was surprised.

After a fair amount of rust eating penetrating had been left to work its wonders super hero dexterity was needed to hold the cage and a parallel pin punch in one hand and then hammer the motor's shaft free from the fan cage =>

The rubber mounting parts were a bit stuck to the mounting flange but came away with a bit of careful encouragement. These resilient bits must be added to reduce motor noise in the cabin.

Long - through body bolts - undone to remove the mounting flange and to separate the motor casing

The end cap at the end where the brushes are fixed had a broken fixing spring on the bearing which actually helped remove the shaft from the end cap...

...but could very well be part of the trouble - part of the reason why the shaft / armature floats about so much within the casing

And there we have it - one motor in as many bits as I feel is necessary / prudent

It seems like the brushes have been replaced...

...I get the feeling that whoever did that job didn't shim the armature nicely in the casing.

The commutator is pretty worn out on the armature (whereas the brushes have lots of meat on them) which is a shame as there may not be enough meat to let me get away with machining them smooth again.

To be continued (at my usual leisurely pace)
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote