View Single Post
Old Mar 24th, 2019, 14:53   #645
Army
marches on his stomach

Sorry for the delay in replying - I'm busy buying a house at the moment - trying to find one with a decent workshop solution isn't easy. It seems that "normal" people think a single garage is reasonable...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
You were lucky to get the fan off that easy. With luck, the comm can be skimmed. As long as the separator grooves can be recut a bit so the brushes actually switch things on and off as they pass you should be OK.
I think the existing part is more or less toast - the gouges are a bit deep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Kwas View Post
Derek;

Removing the all-metal impeller of the 544 ventilator motor is a lot simpler than the same job on the 122 ventilator with plastic impeller...

If I didn't know any better, I'd like to suggest that the brushes might have been replaced with a narrower set...it looks like the set in there have really dug into the commutator, because they are narrow and only in contact with about 40% of it! Are you seeing what I'm seeing?

Cheers
I thought the brushes were a bit narrow too when I took it to bits. The holders do look like they should be there though...

The only identifying mark on the plastic holders I can find is a "VR14" - I've done an internet search but haven't come up trumps just yet.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 1961 Volvo pv544 blower motor in bits9.JPG (158.2 KB, 104 views)
File Type: jpg 1961 Volvo pv544 blower motor in bits10.JPG (154.2 KB, 100 views)
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote