View Single Post
Old Mar 29th, 2019, 13:44   #646
Army
marches on his stomach

Default Unfortunately...

...I'm far too busy with estate agents, banks and surveyors to get much done on any of my numerous projects. The Volvo is suffering.

However, after the fun and games with the left hand part of the suspension (King Pin etc) I decided I'd try and see how just cleaning and painting the right hand side would go. There's nothing wrong with the king pin on the right hand side so I thought I'd save a bit of time and money by not going full on anal and just replace it "cos I'm already there".

Getting the grease and dirt off was pretty time intensive. Gaps are too small for most rotary wire brushes (be it on an angle grinder or in a drill). I didn't fancy dunking the whole assembly in the parts cleaner because removal of solvents from grease tends not to be as straightforward as you might hope.

So a slow process was adopted (as therapy for having to deal with middle men - all very well and good middle men but I prefer to deal with people who actually do stuff!)

After rust treatment I got it to a stage of having a first coat of Eastwood Rust Encapsulator today. Tomorrow I'll be checking to see if it will stick.
1992 Mercedes 190E The car that works!
Army is offline   Reply With Quote