Thread: Seriously?
View Single Post
Old Apr 28th, 2021, 16:16   #651
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Many thanks for that Dave,
I've taken a bizarre fancy to that PV544 in the eBay link above (here it is again: https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/313391007...UAAOSwT9dgCvED). I have never even seen a PV544 up close... but would I be certifiably insane to pay £11,000 (or thereabouts) for a car older than I am on a whim?

I probably know the answer to that one, but I'm thinking of doing it anyway :-)

PS. Insurance would only be £60.06 PA!
I can't answer that Alan as i don't know enough about the PV544 but a couple of things do spring to mind looking at the advert.

First, it's in Portsmouth. Personal prejudice creeping in after a few bad car-related experiences with Portsmouth.

Second, the handlebars are on the wrong side. Not sure if they made RHD UK versions of the PV544 or whether that would put you off.

Third, it's the 1600 version, the B16 engine. It is the forerunner of the B18/B20 engines, i believe Volvo made several improvements to the B18 when they updated the B16 to the B18 so i would be a bit put off by this. Later versions i think came with the B18 and maybe even the B20 which IMHO would be a better bet for a car like that.

There is a PV544 section on the forum, worth having a look and asking a few questions on there about it, for example i may be unfairly dismissing the B16 although if you get some good answers about the comparison between that and the B18/20 you should be able to draw your own conclusions.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: