Thread: Seriously?
View Single Post
Old Apr 30th, 2021, 06:14   #655
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
An update: eBay tells me that this one received no bids at the £6,000 starting price - in spite of the seller claiming it was a cheap car!

Whilst ostensibly a nice car, it looks like the rather silly modifications (lowered suspension, bling wheels and lower profile tyres) have seriously detracted from this car's value. It may well also be the case that £6,000 is just too much for a middling 244, even if it is qualified as an historic car.

I think both are true: if the owner had not bothered with the modifications and kept the car as a good original car it would sell much easier; it is true also that the car isn't cheap (as the seller claims) and £4,000 to £4,500 would be a sensible price.

The best course of action for the seller would probably be to return the suspension and wheels to standard, sell those parts (I suppose they might be worth something like £600-£800) and re-advertise the car at a more sensible price in the light of this failed attempt at a sale. I rather suspect that will not happen though: we will probably see this one for some months yet.

In this thread we are always happy to celebrate cars that sell well (like the Bude car that made just over a grand), but most of the time we end up lamenting sales that don't happen because the owners think their cars are worth much more than they really are.

:-(
Much as expected, having got no bids at £6,000, the seller is trying another auction:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/194076801...oAAOSwDi5gffjp

This time with an opening price of a grand (currently at £1,850) - and with a reserve. This will be much more of an acid test of what the car is really worth. So far it is attracting some good interest (15 bids from 9 different bidders, and no obvious shill bids). It will be really interesting to see whether the bidding get anywhere near £6,000 - my feeling is it will level off at around £3,500-£4,500 (but maybe someone will get auction fever).

Watch this space :-)

Last edited by Othen; Apr 30th, 2021 at 07:24.
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: