Thread: Seriously?
View Single Post
Old May 11th, 2021, 20:10   #705
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
If the question arises about it being a bit far from home, it didn't look that far on the map and you'd already committed to buy it..
That reminds me of soon after I moved to Virginia (15 years ago), I bid what I thought was a ridiculously low price for a Ford Ranger V6 - and won the auction. I checked the location, to find it was just inside New Hampshire - it didn’t look that far on the map (the only map I had handy was the states map stuck to the fridge).

Six hours on a train the next morn got me there, the dealer collected me at the station and it took 8 hours to drive home. I checked the truck over the next morn to find I’d had no lights at the back all the way! Fortunately roadworthiness is much more liberally interpreted in the USA - it was easy to get the truck through the Virginia light and brake test (sort of MoT, but much less demanding) and I drove the truck for the 3 years i lived there.

After that I checked the distance from home more carefully every time i bought another car or bike!

Alan :-)