View Single Post
Old Aug 14th, 2018, 01:55   #5
dan 244
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllHailKingVolvo View Post
I have to agree with Dave here, unless you want to spend major money on a cherished or recommissioned car, it’s unavoidable that as any 9/700 series is going to be at least 20yrs old, most are going to need some work.

It sounds like your current 940 isn’t a million miles off, personally I’d change the engine and gearbox mounts as a first port of call for the vibration. Could the diff be a potential culprit too? Worth cracking open the filler bung and checking if it needs some juice.

Sump wise, I’d get it in the air and drop the sump out (changing the O rings in the oil pump whilst I was at it) and replace it with one from a breaker. Faffing about with no drain plug sounds like a nightmare.

Air con is sortable relatively inexpensively, as are the indicator/headlight issues.

I’d keep it, spend the money it needs and make it as up together as possible. That’s the approach I've taken with my 744, and although it hasn’t been a cheap undertaking, it’s a great project and it’s “my” car, as it were.

You could keep buying, fixing and flipping cars all year long looking for the “right” 940, but even that will have bits that need to be sorted and the odd issue that needs ironing out.
Yes thanks, I have covered a few points you have made in reply to Dave’s post. Yes going to change the diff oil, so therefore make sure it’s up to the mark. And yes, going to change the oil pan, will do the o rings in the pump then too.

Dave has actually made a comment on my other post that is spacific to the rumble problem about the innards of the cat possibly being removed, that makes a lot of sense.

Thanks for the comments. Not really decided what to do.
dan 244 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dan 244 For This Useful Post: