Thread: 240 General: - New (to me) 1980 Volvo 244
View Single Post
Old Feb 14th, 2020, 13:08   #110
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
That might be the right gearbox Alan, however the pics are a tad blurry and no close up of the ID label to know for sure. I don't suppose you happen to know what box you have at the moment?
If you have a look at this thread, i know Luke (360beast) has a few autoboxes available :

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=287440

I doubt they'll sell quickly and i suspect he may have more in the future so worth making contact.

As a general rule of thumb, updating one autobox for another is easier than doing a manual conversion. It's not just the gearbox you have to change, the flywheel, clutch, sometimes the starter motor, pedal box (to gain a clutch pedal), centre console, gearlever (obviously! ) and a few other bits i'm sure i've forgotten.
It's not impossible but the other thing to consider is the character of the car - does it suit an auto box? Do you do much town driving? If the answer is yes to both of those then i'd suggest updating the auto - if you don't do much town driving and you feel as if the character of the car would suit a manual as well as an auto, then go for a manual conversion.
Here is the close up of the auto gearbox's ID plate Dave:

Alan
Othen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post: