View Single Post
Old Aug 17th, 2010, 14:03   #15
rkv

Another factor you might want to consider is under which conditions you want your tyres to offer the best performance. The General Tire Grabber UHP, Kumho Ecsta, and Vredstien Wintrac 4 are all very good choices. However, they are not necessarily equivalent in different weather/temperature conditions.

I believe the Grabber is considered by most as a summer tire. The Kumho while technically claiming to be an all season tyre is probably biased toward summer. The Vredstien Wintrac 4 is a winter tyre. Note winter does not necessarily mean snow. There can be major differences in traction and wear relating to the compounds of the tyre and how they perform at different temperatures.

If you were going with two sets of tyres, then the Grabber and Vredstien would probably be excellent choices. If you are looking at only one set then an all season tyre would probably be the best. But there too you still may want to take into account weather.

I run Pirelli P Zeros on one vehicle of mine. However, that vehicle I only drive in the summer and on sunny(dry) days. (It's a convertible.) I really like the P Zeros for that vehicle, but I wouldn't use them if I was doing a lot of driving in cold weather or when it was wet.

On my XC90 I use Nokian WR G2 SUVs which is an all season tyre which is biased toward better performance in winter. I chose those because for me light snow, ice, and wet are where I want the tyres to provide their greatest safety margin. However, if I was doing a lot of motorway driving in southern europe during the summers, I suspect these would wear very quickly. I would either go for separate summer and winter tyres or select a different all season tyre which was biased a bit more toward warm weather. (I once took a vehicle from the UK to the tropics and managed to literally melt the tyres due to high speeds and 40+ temperatures.)

If you are driving principally in the UK and northern europe, I highly recommend the Nokian.
rkv is offline   Reply With Quote