View Single Post
Old Jul 7th, 2017, 12:46   #28
Semnoz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tatsfield View Post
Coolant temperature is of prime importance for starting the engine as it controls the "choke" function of the ECU's fueling regime. Without it the ECU doesn't know what fueling adjustments to make to enable the engine to run cold.
That makes sense. When I back home after work, I'll have another go with Torque, this time logging coolant temp. Presumably I'm looking for an irregular value (e.g. way off ambient temp) or lack of value at all ?

However, if I have an intermittent fault with the coolant temp measurement, won't this have resulted in other problems, or error messages on the dash ?

Prior to this new issue of it not starting, there hadn't been a single issue, and no warning messages at all (for the time I've had the car at least).

I have another question, not about coolant temp, but related to fuel. I read somewhere that issues with the electronic fuel pump mainly manifest themselves with starting issues, and not once the engine is running as the mechanical fuel pump can pull enough diesel through on its own. And I guess the electronic pump could suddenly fail. I don't believe everything I read, but it might be valid ?