View Single Post
Old Nov 19th, 2020, 09:10   #2454
Zebster
Upstanding Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fjmd View Post
Hello, I was checking this thread, and after dozens of pages I couldn't understand for sure if there was an actual fix or not - sorry. Or if it's just a temporary fix.
I noticed a pattern; some Volvo dealers messing up the solutions/fix, other not trying to help the client in anyway.
But is the recall/replacement a solution? I'm on a verge of getting a 200.000+ km D4 and I wouldn't like to get the car on fire;D
thanks!
This thread mainly relates to the issue of the EGR cooler becoming blocked. I don't believe there was ever a recall for this issue, it was addressed on an individual basis when the problem was identified (a specific error code points is used to identify the blockage). Nevertheless improvements were made to the cooler design, plus the connection to the vehicle coolant system was also modified to reduce the build-up of condensation inside the cooler, plus the engine software was modified at least once. However these actions just served to mitigate the problem and none can really be considered a 'fix', given that the problem continues to reoccur. Later versions of the diesel VEA (from ~2017) used AdBlue as a NOx control feature; this would then significantly reduce the need for such a high EGR flow and so reduce the likelihood of soot build-up in the engine intake - this is as close to a fix as it gets!

This thread is not about the international recall programme relating to a fire risk in relation to soot build-up in the intake manifold/intake valve spit back. Have a look at this thread for more info... https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...highlight=Fire