Old Oct 24th, 2023, 07:47   #6
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewBrown View Post
You don't have to balance the twin Stromberg carbs on a 164

because of the extra butterfly valves and the bypass port in the manifold

the balancing happens automatically in the manifold
I would beg to differ on that and would guess the actual balancing procedure would involve disabling the IM butterflies such that they close the bypass port on idle for balancing purposes. The carbs would then be balanced as per any other twin/multiple caarbi installation and the disablement of the automatic bypass/balancing system would be put back to normal operation after.

You may ask why i suggest this - if the carbs are badly balanced then on normal driving and particularly WOT one set of 3 cylinders will be working harder than the other resulting in excessive fuel consumption, low power and a rough running engine.

While i've not run a B30 with twin carbs, i have run many other cars with twin carbs and i certainly knew it when the carbs were out of balance! Usually about 50% of the normal fuel economy, sluggish and rough. In fact, one car i had was a 4 cylinder Toyota with two twin choke carbs - they were actually perfectly balanced when i got it and it went like stink when the secondary chokes opened up but still gave 42mpg with "sensible" driving.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote