View Single Post
Old Jul 17th, 2019, 00:39   #46
gothamus

Wink Hot but Cool

On Sunday I found a spot on a dirty street corner by by a sewer grate with hardened takeaway grease. This to mask any mess I make as I drain the coolant (No! I wasn't cheating and draining it into the sewer, then to the East River! Truly!). The work was painfully hot without shade. For once- that pain was rewarded with a positive result with the first trial! I've gone from my gauge hitting hot+ to normal readings- in the middle, and either side depending on conditions. The readings I have seen over the past three years with my previous engine.

The flushing may have fixed it. But I think it is primarily the thermostat. The new Volvo one I had in there (made in Germany, old stock) was marked 87 degrees. The one I took out of my old B20 (marked Made in France) had 70 degree markings. It worked fine before, why not try it? Happy I did. Probably thermostat and flushing together, but I doubt I would be so pleased if I didn't swap the thermostat. I have been verifying temperatures with infrared and I am seeing about a 30 degree drop along all cylinders.

There is not much to do about the heat wave. Around 3:00 I did a 15 minute drive with a lot of idling at stop lights and the engine was very much over heated at the end. But it was 94f/34c degrees and in the sun, hotter still. The hottest reading I got on the back of the engine was 221 degrees, 190 at plugs. I won't do anymore drives in that weather when I am not getting on the motorway.

I have done 5 miles on a fast moving BQE (84f/ 28c) and temp was steady in the middle. Went to 3/4 when I pulled off and parked. I think I am going to leave early in the morning this Saturday when we drive up to the Massachusetts's Berkshires. The only portion of concern is the getting-out-of-the-damned-city portion. It's 1/2 hour moving with low traffic or 1.5 - 2 and crawling with traffic. The rest is a little more than 3 hours, though we will stop in towns. I will be avoiding the Big I - interstate expressways!
gothamus is offline   Reply With Quote