View Single Post
Old Jan 12th, 2019, 14:23   #53
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LPTJoe View Post
There's no flametrap pn the turbo models

To put it simply, LairdScooby refers to the 'Y' shaped connecting pipe that isn't a flametrap as a flametrap (Don't ask)
The USA Volvo Parts Webstore calls it a nipple Joe. It's what i've always known as a flame trap. On P6B Rovers, they used exactly the same in-line fuel filter as fitted between the fuel pump and carbs as a flametrrap between the L/H rocker cover and air cleaner housing - likewise the carb'd versions of the SD1 V8 as well.

Haynes referred to it as a flametrap in my Volvo 740/760 OWM, i can't find it at the moment but i'm sure they did. Search ebay for "Volvo flametrap" and look what comes up :

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_f...&_sacat=181877

Obviously i'm not unique in referring to them as flametraps!

For the record, i wasn't advocating moving it to the turbo (although i have seen some engines with flametraps/spark arrestors on the turbo inlets - a long and different story!), i was simply suggesting raising it up a few inches so it was above the inlet manifold, directly above the oil separator. It makes a vast difference to how clean it stays and by extension, how clean the rest of the PCV system stays and also oil consumption!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: