View Single Post
Old Jul 25th, 2005, 08:46   #2
ivor940
Master Member

Default RE: 940 Half shaft bearing and seal - how difficult?

Hi, I have just changed both rear bearings on my 94 940 ( Live axle )as one was a bit overheated. The Haynes manual is correct in that the removal of the half shafts is easy, you need special tools to change the outer seal or the bearing. ( in work I have access to these tools ). The inner oil seal is a diy job to replace. ( make sure the seal is fitted as per diagram in haynes but this is not the seal which is letting oil out of the bearing onto the brake area. To change the bearing and outer seal, you need access to a Hydraulic press ( and a suitable bearing clamp tool like Snap-on sell ). Most local Engine re-conditioners or Machine shops will have these tools. They should be able to change the bearing for you. The following info appliea if you have access to a Hyd press. The removal of the bearing usually renders it u/s, so buy bearing kit from Nordic or other supplier before starting the job. The Hydraulic press is used to remove the bearing retainer ( looks like large metal ring ) and the bearing. The shaft is cleaned and the new seal is fitted first ( chk it is fitted the correct way as per cross section in Haynes ) The bearing is pressed on next ( ensure it is correct side out ). Finally the bearing retainer is pressed on. All these items were very tight to remove and refit. The newly assembled shaft is quite easy to fit, with the assembly of the handbrake springs the most awkward part of the job. Dont forget to fit the shoe retaining clips under the half shaft retainer bolts. If you do one side at a time, the oil in the diff does not come out as one side is jacked up. Hope this is helpful.

ivor940

Volvo 940 2.0 SE Turbo Estate 5 spd 157k

ivor940
ivor940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ivor940 For This Useful Post: