View Single Post
Old Sep 18th, 2019, 14:14   #1
CharlesStevenson
Premier Member

Default MOT emissions fail - codes P0102 and P0171 - MAF or somethin

My car's been playing up for a while with the symptoms of juddering, holding back on acceleration & clearing, etc, the "usual" symptoms of the MAF / IACV units.

In addition, it gives codes P0102 and P0171 which AIUI relate to MAF issues.

I've cleaned the IACV & reset the codes but that's not resolved it.

The next step would be a replacement MAF which from reading on here I was expecting to be quite dear so I'd waited to spend on this until its MOT & this has generated just two issues, replace track rod ends (not really costly) and an emissions fail (possible financial black hole).

My concern, however, is that the garage has said, understandably that they'd need to read the codes to check what's up but have suggested an O2 sensor or a cat, but I don't believe this will be the cause of the codes & the emissions fail issue.

AIUI if I fit a working MAF the codes won't re-appear and the emissions will then be ok for the MOT, assuming of course there's nothing else causing an issue?!?!.

So my question is; would P0102 and/or P0171 indicate a worn, damaged or failing cat or 02 sensor?

It's due for a re-test next Thursday so I've got time to fit a MAF & see if this clears the codes, but didn't want to throw good money after bad if the fail had thrown up £000's of a bill.

Thanks