View Single Post
Old Nov 4th, 2019, 07:59   #2249
manka2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zebster View Post
There is a specific diagnostic trouble code (P04D9) that relates to insufficient EGR flow... While it might be the valve sticking shut it would more commonly indicate the EGR cooler becoming blocked. Has your cooler ever been replaced? You can tell from the radiator top hose, if there is no T-piece in it then it's been replaced with the later 'improved' (less cooler) cooler.

When my EGR valve failed, it failed open... this gives a severe loss of power, making the car undriveable. However this problem did begin earlier that day with a lack of throttle response when moving away from a standstill. No dedicated code for this problem, but I did get several error codes relating to MAF being lower than expected which I correctly interpreted as indicating a stuck open EGR valve whilst waiting for Volvo recovery (I'm sad enough to keep a cheap OBD2 reader in each of my cars!).

If there is an ongoing problem then it is quite likely that pending/unconfirmed DTCs are being registered, even if the engine warning light is not coming on. If you know someone with a basic OBD2 code reader then it may be worth asking them to have a look.

The good news is that Volvo will replace the cooler under goodwill at no cost to you. I had to pay 50% towards the EGR valve, although maybe now this is also 100% covered by goodwill?
Thanks for replying, appreciate it. When they read it it said that it was a problem with the EGR valve flow as you've suggested and didn't reference the cooler at all. I'll check the pipework later. There were no other error codes on the print out.

I have a bluetooth reader that I bought for my other car with an android app but never actually used it. Could I use this with the Volvo? Otherwise, I can take it to my local mechanic and ask them to take a look if not.

The dealer suggested volvo would cover the entire cost of replacement but not sure whether they'd have to foot any other part of the bill. Obviously, keen to get this sorted whilst it is still under the dealer 30 day warranty if I can, but apparently its logged on the volvo customer service system anyway.
manka2009 is offline   Reply With Quote