Thread: S40 (New) General : - Blocked sunroof drains
View Single Post
Old Sep 23rd, 2016, 23:12   #7
sannesley

So I took the car to my local mechanic and we popped the passenger side A-pillar off and it seems to be the case that the previous owner of the car must have had a similar problem to mine in the past as it looks like someone has tried to bodge a repair in the past by adding an extension of smaller tubing and trying to seal the join between the drain tubing and the black sunroof plug which goes into the firewall.

Once we opened the bonnet we noticed that the two outer retaining screw clips from the scuttle panel so obviously they had been rooting about in the area of the drain plugs in the past.

We used his air gun to blow out the contents of the black rubber sunroof plug. There was some dirt in it but not a lot. Not that we've ever seen the correct position of the drain plug in the firewall area before but it seemed to be sitting up in the engine compartment and not far enough out if you know what I mean?

Until we take the driver side A-pillar off we can't be sure that a similar bodge has been tried on that drain pipe as well. If it appears untouched we plan to use it as a reference as to how it should sit and sort out the passenger drain plug position if required.

I did pick up one good piece of advice from another post on this forum for helping to dry the carpets out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Proghound View Post
We had a soaking wet passengers side rear footwell in SWMBO's Yaris, due to a bad join between two plates under the NS rear light cluster. Being needed for daily use, rather than take half the interior out we used a different method to dry it.

Having sponged up what water we could, we put a whole newspaper over the wet carpet, with an old towel on top, all under a rubber carpet mat. Capillary action draws the water through the carpet up into the paper & towel. It helps to stand on the mat to start it off. You change the newspaper and towel every day until you're not getting much wet on the paper. At that point, find something heavy with a large flat base, that can sit on top of the mat the whole time to squeeze the water out of the foam under the carpet (a box of old computer paper did it for us). Carry on changing the paper every day until you're getting nothing up. The carpet should now be completely dry, with no damp coming through under pressure. The foam beneath may still be slightly damp but should dry up completely over time.
I might try this to help dry out the carpets once the leak issue has been sorted. If it doesn't work I'll end up taking it to a valeter and see what they can do.
sannesley is offline   Reply With Quote