View Single Post
Old Oct 22nd, 2019, 08:23   #4
DeanH

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrybritcher View Post
do the drop links too then report back
Haven't got time unfortunately, re-test is on Friday and I'm away in London until Thursday.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oragex View Post
You have replaced only the outer track rod end ? Was it done at a garage ? Usually problems happen when the inner track rod is replaced - forcing too much on the rack without a counter hold may cause a rack spacer to fail.

The outer track rod has a rotation of about 30 degrees but its body should not touch the hub. is it the correct part for your model year ? 01-03 are different than 04-09

It is easy to test the drop links, with the wheel at full turn, grab the link and try shaking it with force. May as well pry a little on the ball joint between the hub and the wishbone - without touching the rubber boot, see if there play to it (wheel off ground)
Only the outer yes, done myself.

Couldn't get the locknut undone so refitted new rod to same position and took it to a garage for them to do the tracking and loosen the locknut.

Didn't force on the rack, track rod end came off rather easily which was a surprise.

Essentially I just need to make sure that the track rod end is fitted properly so I pass the re-test. Happy to sort any other issues afterwards!

Edit: gave dealer my reg and the new part looked identical to old.
DeanH is offline   Reply With Quote