View Single Post
Old Feb 14th, 2020, 17:56   #16
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpliddy View Post
hi thank you all for your valued input i will look further into this if im confident
enough to tackle this job . i suppose all the nuts will need a good dose of plus gas releasing oil .o i don't have a toque wrench so is that really a must for this job ?
It's a fairly simple job Jim, just a lot of words to describe it make it sound more complicated than it is.

I would say the torque wrench is a necessity, even a basic £15-20 from ebay will be ok and then you'll have it and there's a lot of things on the car that should be tightened with a torque wrench, wheel nuts for example (63lb/ft ~85Nm) to prevent things like wheel stud failure, damage to the alloys etc.

Also the Threadlock is pretty essential too. Again you can (and almost certainly will) use it on the car so worth investing a few quid in a bottle of it.

Seriously, give it a go, it's easy enough and even if you take your time so you can go through the instructions a few times while doing it, it's unlikely to take you more than a couple of hours and that includes tea breaks. I had a bit of help with someone operating the jack for me but i managed to do mine in about half an hour. In fairness i used a 12V impact torque wrench so undoing and doing the bolts up again was fairly quick and a codless drill for the wire brush to clean where the bushes sit in the control arm but it didn't take long at all.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: