View Single Post
Old Jul 1st, 2020, 20:42   #11
moncman

Thanks for all the replies - most of you have hit the nail on the head to varying degrees.

However, I will summarise in case anyone else finds they have this problem.

Firstly, the strange lights - (owners of different cars report slightly different results) - only happen with Swift models using Sargent electrics. This is therefore clearly avoidable and indeed Sargent will supply a Vehicle Lighting Module (VLM) which sorts the problem. I fully expect this has an addition resistor in circuit which provides the fix as previously suggested but owing to all the other electrics (it replaces the original module) comes in a £97. The latest VLM6 sorts all non-compatible cars and is invisible to those that would never have had a problem.

Secondly the problem only arises if the car does not have low voltage lights somewhere, with the CanBus designed accordingly. If you have LED high level brake lights or LED day running lights or just a more modern model you won't have a problem. XC60s don't appear to bother, new XC90s likewise and possibly older XC90s after 2012 or so. My 2010 XC90 certainly does.

I agree it's the cars fault (if we are desperate to apportion blame) but ultimately Swift did not make a touring caravan that could be towed by a full range of towcars without modification.

So I guess as one poster said - I can cough up and shut up - although I still think the fact that Sargent make a VLM6 indicates they know there is a problem and could make all models compatible with all cars for a few quid if they modified the basic light module at source. I like the simple resistor fix but would need to find an auto-electrician as I'm not confident in hacking into my electrics.

Thanks for all replies and info.
moncman is offline   Reply With Quote