View Single Post
Old Apr 18th, 2021, 12:54   #35
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob12 View Post
SF have always been around for as long as I can remember.. I believe they were in Leatherhead originally in the days single ownership dealers. They then spread their wings and bought up/sold garages. I think in places like Cobham, Slough, West Mosley. Then when Lancaster (Inchcape Group) pulled out SF popped up taking over their Guildford Volvo dealership. SF now seem to be part of a larger consortium (HSF?) these days.

Bob
Thanks Bob, i just checked the number plate, mine came from Cobham (why didn't i think of that before! ) originally.

Not sure about the current ownership of SF, maybe they merged and/or were bought out by someone else, don't know.

*** EDIT *** Forgot to mention, mine did the hot-start refusal yesterday, totally unexpected! Last summer when it was really hot it would often get vapour locks in the fuel system so i insulated most of it using proprietary products and kitchen foil, vast improvement! It's always been a good cold starter though.

However, it jogged my memory to a couple of years back when all starting became a game of Russian Roulette. I eventually had some success getting it to start every time (but not on the key) by linking out the ignition/starter switch.

As is the case with intermittent faults, despite proving it with link wires to start it, i haven't as yet renewed the starter switch. That said i did remove it, strip and clean it and haven't had any trouble since.

When i had my last 740, the starter switch played up on that with similar symptoms and i renewed that before i sold it, at the buyers expense. I had listed it with that fault and the buyer asked me if i would replace it and my reply was along the lines of yes but not in the price of the car. They agreed to cover the cost of the switch and sent the money through on seeing the receipt from Volvo.

Worth mentioning here that not all starter switches are the same and they're not interchangeable. Easy enough to get to and remove the switch and find the part number though. I have a secondhand one here (if i can remember where i hid it!) from a 940 (1995 i believe) and that was a known good one in the car it came from. Won't fit my 760 but open to sensible offers and/or arrangements if it's the right one for others to try.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........

Last edited by Laird Scooby; Apr 18th, 2021 at 13:08.
Laird Scooby is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: