Thread: roof racks
View Single Post
Old May 4th, 2021, 20:28   #10
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard240 View Post
I've just picked up a second hand 6 legged aluminium roof rack I bought on eBay for £78, listed as for a Volvo 240.

I picked it up from the vendor at the weekend in my 1993 240 estate but I couldn't get it to fit. The roof rack was too wide but about an inch and I had to dismantle it to take it home. There were no obvious ways to adjust the width or angle of the feet so they fit into the gutter. The vendor was confident it had been with a 240, but it was something they'd inherited with an old house and I'm wondering if they were mistaken.

So...
1. Is it perhaps for a 700 series? I recall they also had a six leg roof rack. Is their roof wider?
2. Is there a way of adjusting it?
3. Is it just bent? If it is, it appears to have been bent in a very even way, because it seems to be a very tidy one to me.

Thanks for any suggestions.
Good evening, Richard,

1. I doubt that the rack is intended for a 7 series car. From memory, my 145 / 245 rack was rather more than an inch too narrow to fit on my 745. I think the later car was more like 4" wider than the earlier ones.
2. If it is a similar rack to the one that I had, then no, it will not be adjustable for width. I suppose that one could always cut it and insert extension pieces, but that seems a bit drastic and I don't know of anyone who has successfully done this
3. It is possible I suppose, but I think it unlikely unless someone was attempting to use it on a car for which it was not intended.

Regards, John.