Thread: roof racks
View Single Post
Old May 5th, 2021, 10:13   #12
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard240 View Post
Thanks John. So the conclusion seems to be that it really should fit, but I need to try a bit harder. I'll have another go but cover the roof with a sheet as even with the rubber feet I'm anxious of scratching the car... I pranged a wing at the weekend, last thing I need is a scratched roof too!
Bad luck with the wing, but as discussed elsewhere, at least they bolt on.

When I responded last night it was on a tablet and, for some reason, the ebay link didn't work. Looking at the picture this morning, I see that your rack is similar to, but not identical with, the one that I had. Mine had wooden longitudinal slats and a slight 'bow' where yours appears dead flat.

However, the basic construction looks much the same. It looks very robust, but as you only need to 'lose' half an inch per side, a little judicious bending may well do the trick. Are you attempting to fit the rack single-handed? Although it was not impossible, I always found it was much easier to fit and remove mine with assistance from another.

As an aside, you may well experience around a 10% increase (2-3 MPG) in fuel consumption with an empty rack in place (more if heavily laden), and the increased wind noise is also not inconsiderable, especially at speed. I always removed mine when it was not required for an extended period.

Regards, John.