View Single Post
Old May 5th, 2021, 11:45   #36
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Yes, fair point - my only 'bad' B14 was overheated due to the electric fan not working (and the driver not noticing what the temperature gauge was doing. It cracked the head! I think the bigger issue is that the risk of liner-shift is very significant if you just lift the head straight up, and re-seating them can be a bit hit and miss (I assume unless you're taking the pistons out of the liners, etc).

Maybe it's an age issue, but the 340-style handbrake adjusters seem to seize up very commonly now. They had both seized completely solid (and both at both ends, too - a really comprehensive job!) and worn out the shoes on my 343, and when I mentioned it to friends there was a lot of muttering about "complete pain" and "annual job". Maybe it's a case of incorrect servicing or use of the wrong grease? Even Mac (ex-VCUK in-period) said it was something they were prone to (although he didn't specify whether that was "then" or "now"!). Doesn't seem to affect 360s at all, but of course the design is completely different.

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to foggyjames For This Useful Post: