View Single Post
Old Jul 12th, 2018, 18:35   #12
AndyV7o
Premier Member

The vw specs are a bit of an enigma, both 505.01 and 507 for pd engines are based on C3, but are supposed to be very strong regarding high loads with the camshaft/tappets/injectors, which suggests a 'magic' ingredient, however whilst asking a guy at Millers if they would be good enough to use in place of B4 in my Volvo (we have an octavia pd, itd be useful to be able to use one oil) he was very vague and simply said 'your engine asks for B4 which is full saps, so only use that' I pressed for a bit more info quoting the supposed compatibility of C3 and that vw build upon it, but just got a list of their oils which meet B4 and told to use those. He may just be protecting their liability, it may be that he feels their oil might not be strong enough but obviously wouldn't say that, it may be that C3 based oils even for pd engines still arent strong enough (and that the pd requirements are exaggerated), I dunno. Was talking to a guy at Total who said 'lets try and find a mutually compatible oil, get back to me with specific info of the cars, look forward to hearing from you', I replied, and heard nothing more! I don't like to pester tech people who arent there for needy customer support, so I left it be...
AndyV7o is offline   Reply With Quote