View Single Post
Old Jan 18th, 2018, 12:57   #14
niggly

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizardOfBodom View Post
Thanks for this - that is interesting input as I was trying to estabilish a while ago if any of our cars have active levelling (lean up/down dependant on dip or bumps on the road). From the answers I gathered that no. You are the first person that can confirm that, so I wonder if thats C30 specific or all P1 with ABL or what.... You are 100% sure your car compensate for the road bumps in real time, yea?
Lizard, yes on my 2011 Volvo C30 the lights, when on dipped beam, absolutely adjust/change the beam height all the time, constantly when you are driving. You only notice it when on dipped beam.

It may be that on full beam, which is like daylight, it still does it but you can't see it. but I'd deduced that it 'turns off' when you are on full. On the basis that there'd be no point in adjusting it a bit up/down as that isn't going to help the poor sod coming the other way??

I must say it is quite irritating. And it doesn't seem 'logical' - you crest a rise and you'd think it would lower the beams.....and it doesn't. I don't know where on the car the sensor is located nor what it is sensing TBH.

On my MINI, which has Xenon dipped beam but Halogen mains, it nods/dances when you turn the lights on before it settles but doesn't dance around like the Volvo when you are driving.

It may be my Volvo has a fault and shouldn't be doing it so noticeably.