Thread: Questions
View Single Post
Old Jun 11th, 2021, 12:19   #4
100K+
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
If you like the car I would repair it ..

Otherwise sell it as it is for a reasonable price assuming it needs a new engine ...
I LOVE the car....had it since 2008. Have been advised its a 5hr head removal + 5 hr refit. Repairs to the head are extra ie valves and or guides. Additionally been advised that other bits should be replaced "while we are in there". Fortunately, cam belt was done 18 month back and PCV system refurbished 12 month back, but they are still talking "sensors".
If the head is removed surely the valves should be re-seated and would this not then need the shims to be changed at more expense.
I can see this job costing towards £2000, and as much as I love this car this looks like proving to be the straw etc....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
What's the nature of the fault causing the lack of compression on #2 Bob?

I think a lot of people would want to know that so they had an idea whether it was salvagable as a runner relatively cheaply if it's within the scope of their abilities or whether it's just a parts mule or "labour of love" rebuild job.

The other thing most will want to know is what sort of money you're looking for. That would also influence whether it would become a parts mule/labour of love resto or whether it's a fairly cheap repair for someone capable of DIY fixes.

You're in an unenviable position overall though, it's a car you've had a while from the sound of it and now you're faced with a choice of two undesirable outcomes. Breaking it yourself is undoubtedly more profitable than selling as a complete car but as you say, you'd have to get the local scrap man with his Hiab to remove it once stripped. Depending on the price of scrap metal at the time, it could range from you getting paid for the remains of the shell to you having to pay to get it removed.

Good luck with it whatever you decide though.

There is a thread about this issue here :-

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=317356

I have not updated it recently, but the feeling earlier was the issue was burnt valve, rather than H. gasket or split liner. There is still no sign of oil in the header tank or over pressure.

I'd rather see the car go to someone who would be able to repair ( or attempt repair) than break the car for parts, even if more profitable.

What the car is worth at present I don't know. As stated earlier there are lots of new bits and relatively new bits. The interior is in very good nick, with no rips/tears and only really minor wear to the bolsters.

If I could recoup the £2000 I spent at Christmas I think I'd let it go.. But Clan has seeded my mind with doubts .....again ....cos apart from a V70T5 (manual only) there is no other Volvo I'd rather have - and that includes all the fancy XC's.....

What to do ???? what to do???

Cheers
Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 100K+ For This Useful Post: