Thread: Accessories
View Single Post
Old Dec 24th, 2017, 21:22   #73
Vintagewrench

[QUOTE=tdz840;2350261]I have the Volvo Competition inlet kit fitted to my 1967 1800.
The carbs are actually Solex 45ADDHE (earlier versions may have used the 45DDHcarbs) and not weber DCOEs. They are the better carb but like Betamax the weber obtained a stranglehold.

Jets and chokes can be an issue but i now have plenty, accumulated over the last 4-5 years.

The kit also comes with an uprated fuel pump (mechanical) and i also have that but took the decision to fit a Electric Carter 4070 next to the tank which allows me to prime the fuel chambers before i start the car (i live on a hill!).Quote]

Hi Russ,

Yes, The Solex carbs are what Volvo did supply with the kit. Have tuned vintage racing cars with both carbs and prefer vintage Weber carbs, not the Spanish or Chinesse units on the market today. Webers are also easier and quicker to tune due to the screw in jets rather than the pressed in ones Solex used. Jets, chokes, and parts are also much easier to find here in the US.

Posted a photo above with a second set of Volvo Competition Services manifolds on a B20 FI head and the Volvo Competition pump so others can see what one looks like. It is much like the early pumps and has the priming lever, but the pump body itself is beefier on the side and uses threaded fittings.

The carbs on the manifolds in the first photos are 40DCOE Webers which are better suited to B18 engines, but 45's of either brand are proper for the larger B20 engine for which this setup was meant for. Both of my cars have still have the factory original engines with small clean up re-bores and I want to leave them that way.

Last edited by Vintagewrench; Dec 24th, 2017 at 21:24.
Vintagewrench is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Vintagewrench For This Useful Post: