View Single Post
Old Apr 22nd, 2018, 15:17   #17
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin calva View Post

Is copa grease NOT silicone? It does not mention the word silicone on the can but somehow I had the impression it was. Maybe simply because they recommend it for exhaust system nuts etc.
Martin
No, definitely not Martin. At the risk of sounding sarcastic, the clue is in the name - copper grease - whether it's spelled copper, coppa, copa or whichever variety of spelling they use for marketing the stuff, it is copper based grease.

It's essentially very tiny flakes of copper suspended in a high melting point grease to prevent nuts seizing onto bolts, studs etc from heat, corrosion etc.
It can also be used between alloy wheels and steel hubs to prevent eletrolytic corrosion which can cause the wheel to stick to the hub.

Until very recently, copper grease was always the default grease for brake mechanism parts - rear of the pads (not the friction surface) to prevent squeal, slides to prevent seizing and so on.

However over the past few years, silicone grease has gained in poularity for use in place of copper grease, why i don't know as they have similar properties.

I use silicone grease on door seals, sunroof seals etc to keep them moist and prevent them drying out, squeaking etc and also as an alternative to dielectric grease on battery terminals as unlike hydro-carbon based grease, it won't carbonise once hot and cause problems.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote