View Single Post
Old Mar 14th, 2019, 20:21   #2
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Got it today and installed it on my big lump of a battery in the boot of my XC90.

As I am an engineer by trade, and have seen cable loom damage through chaffing and even cable loom fires, I added extra wire wrap tubing to the positive wires for extra protection against chaffing and accidents. It does have a 1A inline fuse about 4 inches from the battery terminal. And those 4 inches are now also double insulated.

The CTEK Battery Sense is cable tied to the positive distribution box by the left hand side of the battery, and the whole lot sits neatly under the plastic battery cover.
Watch that sharp edge on the battery distribution box mounting bracket! That's exactly what can cause chaffing.

Bluetooth connection didn't connect first time - for whatever reason - but 2nd time it did.
Now upstairs at my desk I can see that it logs battery voltage every 5 minutes.
I see that I connected the Battery Sense at 14 Mar 19:10.
I can view the voltage graph and overall battery state (I'm at 91%, in the green) when away from the car.

When at the car I can see battery volts and ambient temperature, which was 12°C, and 12.72V.

I walked back down to the car after an hour and as I approached the vehicle with the app open, it updated itself with the latest data. Cool!

The battery was now at 93%, which shows how it recovers charge once power drain has stopped.

No more mucking about with multimeters!

Now I'll be able to determine how often I should recharge my battery to keep it on peak condition, as my car often sits for a week without being used.

I'll take some screenshots after this weekends driving to show you what it looks like over time.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to SwissXC90 For This Useful Post: