Thread: Any Advice?
View Single Post
Old Jan 21st, 2020, 08:54   #19
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris152 View Post
I'd rather we spend the extra and get something that's up and going properly so he can work to improve things rather than rebuild, if we can get it at the right price. That said, the market's not exactly flooded with them at the moment, so we'll have to see what comes up - though he's clear it needs to be petrol and manual (I loved my auto, but clearly he knows better).

C
Have you seen this one?

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=302227

It ticks many of your boxes as far as i can tell but it is auto.

However on the year it was made, i'm fairly sure it will have the ZF 4-speed (with overdrive 4th and Torque Converter Lock-up) so economy and performance will be good, especially with the B230E under the bonnet.

It seems to be in relatively good order throughout with a few bits needing some TLC/fettling to improve it but still with plenty of scope for a young enthusiast to "make it his".

I noted your comments that your lad said it had to be manual but has he ever driven an auto? Come to that, has he driven a manual? The clutches tend to be pretty heavy in the 240 models and compared to the modern stuff that he's likely to learn to drive in, might be incredibly heavy.
I had my first auto when i was 18 and after that, first choice was always an auto. Long time ago now, to give you a rough idea it was a 12 year old 144DL auto so i've had a long association with automatics.

In a market that isn't over-run with 240s of any description, i'd say don't knock it until you've tried it! If he really doesn't like/can't get on with the auto box, you could always find the parts neessary to convert to manual if you have a good base car.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: