Thread: XC90: - Most Unreliable Car
View Single Post
Old Sep 22nd, 2020, 07:16   #48
biggbn
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kev0607 View Post
I think the petrol IS models are good, but the diesel not so much.

I haven't driven an LS600H, but I've had a spin in two GS300's (A 2005 & a 2007). The newer GS300 CVT sounds like a roaring moped under acceleration, so I can only assume the LS is more refined in terms of insulation etc being the pinnacle of the Lexus range.

A chap who lives a few doors down from me had a Mercedes S600 with the limo body (I think that was a 2002 plate), but he swapped that for an LS460 (not a hybrid, 2008 plate if I recall correctly). He said he's lucky to get 12mpg out of the LS around town, but I suppose that's to be expected on a car that size (Just over 5 metres long) with a massive 4.6 litre petrol engine. Then again, he said the Merc was around the same & it was actually a bigger car.

The newer LS600 hybrid's (2013 onwards) are surprisingly economical considering they still have 5.0 litre petrol engines. That's where the hybrid aspect comes into action I suppose, but to get 25-26mpg** around town out of a car that has a 5.0 litre petrol engine & is around 5.2 metres long is decent (Newer models are longer than the older ones). **Quoted figures, probably much less than this in real world.

Maybe they should collate & publish the data properly. I'm not "exercised" by anything... I'm just stating my opinion that a Toyota IQ shouldn't be on the same list as a £100k sports car. Again, this is my opinion... Whether you agree or not is your choice & I'm not particularly bothered if you do or don't.
To clarify, I am talking about the LS, IS is a much lesser model and quite rightly, lexus don't use diesel in their halo cars. I find that astonishing that your acquaintance got 12mpg round town. None of the larger engined cars I have owned have plumbed those depths but I guess it depends on what 'round town' means. My old 97 LS400 would pull low thirties on any decent run, ease into high teens/low twenties used around town and averaged 22/24mpg week in week out all the time I had it.
biggbn is offline   Reply With Quote