Thread: XC90: - Most Unreliable Car
View Single Post
Old Sep 23rd, 2020, 01:35   #49
Kev0607
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggbn View Post
To clarify, I am talking about the LS, IS is a much lesser model and quite rightly, lexus don't use diesel in their halo cars. I find that astonishing that your acquaintance got 12mpg round town. None of the larger engined cars I have owned have plumbed those depths but I guess it depends on what 'round town' means. My old 97 LS400 would pull low thirties on any decent run, ease into high teens/low twenties used around town and averaged 22/24mpg week in week out all the time I had it.
He only uses his LS460 (2008 plate) for short runs to a factory that he owns, which is probably around 5 miles away at a push & back home again (10 miles per day). I can only presume that the engine is barely getting warm only doing a 5 mile trip & that affects the mpg. Although petrol cars do get warmer quicker than diesel ones do, generally. The car itself only books at 17mpg around town (Not a hybrid model), so 12mpg real world isn't a million miles off. Maybe mpg would increase if he took it on a longer "round town" trip. He doesn't though, it just goes to & from his factory each day and its garaged most weekends.

As long as I've known, he's always had big saloons with big engines, loaded to the hilt with accessories (Nice choices ). Prior to the LS460, he had a Mercedes S600L... That was a very big car, the 460 looks small in comparison.