View Single Post
Old Jun 8th, 2018, 18:28   #4
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by albertsmith View Post
Yes something to go on. I keep running it low on petrol, really never fill it up, yes possibly new sender unit/bad earth. Air filter is new, maf was replaced before I got it last year. Its the emissions light that is flickering on when going uphill. Im not sure about putting meths in the tank, but will fill it up, maybe some redex could go in???
A few points - lift the cubby hole cover panel from the floor behind the left hand rear wheel arch - you should see the cable that supplies the tank unit which is the pump and sender. There will be a black wire coming from it, follow that to where it earths, i can't remember exactly where it goes just now but it's not far.
Remove that bolt/screw, clean the connector with a wire brush and/or emery cloth, clean where it attaches and refit it, making sure it's tight.

Next, it's not an emissions light, it's the engine management light and that suggests you have multiple misfires because it's getting poor fuel to the engine.
As the fuel pick-up/pump/sender unit is at the back of the tank, going uphill will make the problem worse, allowing more water/condensation to actually sit round the pick-up point. Water fill find the lowest point of the tank as it's heavier than petrol and will not mix with it. Adding meths allows the water to emulsify with the petrol so it can be burned off. You only need about 2L of meths in a maximum of 4 gallons of petrol.

Filling it up won't get rid of the problem if it is condensation, just make the symptoms worse. Once you've got rid of the problem, then add the Redex or other injector/fuel system cleaner to the tank.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: