View Single Post
Old Feb 12th, 2003, 14:44   #6
Dan F
Premier Member

Default RE: I've bought another one...

Hi Chris.

A bleed will still allow the ECU to activate the boost control solenoid, but it will raise the pressure that the manifold actually sees. Obviously Optimax will be a requirement at that point, but the ignition and injection system should alter their parameters to keep pace as the lambda sensor will tell the ECU that the fuel rate needs to go up to match the extra air being pumped in. Not sure *exactly* how it would work on a 440 With a garrett T2 turbo on it, but with care and patience it should give tangible gains. Shortening the wastegate rod a couple of turns is an alternative to the bleed off, of course, and is an effective (and truely free) mod if done carefully and correctly.

Actually, I had 3 440s in all.
A 1991 440 GLE (Carb), a 1990 440 Turbo (Non tweaked as I had no idea of what could be done at the time.......)and a 1995 440 2.0i SE.

Then I bought a 1998 S40 2.0T. That didn't have enough power (although I did tweak it to .9Bar whilst I had it) and so I got a 1999 S40 T4 instead.
I would still have that now, if it wasn't for our car use changing.
I now I have a 2000 C70 T5 Coupe. Veeeeeeery nice!

I would consider going to RICA engineering in Bromsgrove to get your car chipped if you want a more long term solution. I bet they could get 180BHP and 250Nm out of a 440 turbo very easily. It would be interesting, and with a car the weight of a 440, it should really fly with that amount of power!

Do you know what the base boost pressure is on a 440 turbo by any chance?
I have read it is as low as .25bar (approx 3.7psi!)
That would make it a LPT model with Volvos current naming conventions!
Any idea if those are correct values?

Anyway, best of luck with your car and keep us up to date on your progress/mods.

Cheers,
Dan.
Dan F is offline   Reply With Quote