View Single Post
Old May 12th, 2006, 21:51   #2
Viking V40
Still hanging in there

Smile

GETTING THE MOTOR OUT:

Undo the Pozi-drive screw holding the indicator in, unclip the electrical connector and lift out the indicator.

Then use a 10mm socket to undo the 4 nuts holding the headlamp in position, unclip the main electrical connector for the bulbs; leave the electrical connector for the headlamp levelling motor at the moment - you can't get it off yet - the battery is in the way.

Carefully ease the washer tube off the wiper arm. Use an 8mm socket to undo the nut on the end of the wiper motor spindle and take off the wiper arm.

Lift up the car with a jack and position an axle stand under the 'Y' shaped stiffener leading up to the bulkhead (put a piece of wood on top of the jack head and on top of the axle stand to prevent damage to the car's metalwork). Think safety.

Working underneath the front of the car - use a 10mm socket to undo a few of the screws holding the plastic shield immediately behind the bottom edge of the front bumper. The plastic rivets can be removed by pulling on the smaller diameter plastic flange. This allows you to get access to the two screws holding the bumper in position.

Remove the two screws (recessed into a folded metal C-section which runs towards the rear of the engine bay) with a 14mm socket and extension.

In the wheel-arch, at the edge where the plastic bumper meets the metal wing, there is a screw securing the side of the bumper. Use a Torx T30 bit to take out the screw. Have a clean rag handy now, gently ease the bumper forward, place the rag between the side of the bumper and the wing to prevent scratching the paintwork.

Ease the headlamp cluster out, removing that electrical connection to the headlamp levelling motor.

Use a 10mm socket or ring spanner to take off the two nuts securing the wiper motor in position. Ease out the wiring loom and disconnect at the plug and socket positioned near the bonnet catch. The motor is now out .

The motor has a plastic casing with lots of 'snap' hook fastenings. I've got it on the bench now - I'll let you know when I get around to having a look at it. The bumper, headlamp and indicator are back in position so the car is driveable again in the meantime. I hope I can fix it, price for a new motor is £98 + carriage at cost .
Viking V40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Viking V40 For This Useful Post: