View Single Post
Old Mar 2nd, 2011, 12:12   #3
owenfackrell
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobdabuilda View Post
After having quotes of £404 and £330 for a 4 year service on an xc90 (car is at 58000 miles with last service done 1year ago at 54000miles) I am wondering why there is not an investigation of the dealers by the monopolies commission! I mean come on what is hard about a service and why is it so extortionate? I managed to get one to allow me to supply my own oil but that only reduces the price by £70.

I figure that I could do the air filter myself for £20, oil filter would cost around £20, fuel filter £20, no need to top up the screen washer which is usually £5... an hours work tops? I replaced the discs, pads, shoes and rear wheel bearings last summer so what else is there to check? I wonder if I can buy the dealer stamp for £20?

Does anyone have a 4 year checklist of what is usually done please?
I do my own servicing and the oil filters are cheaper than that. As mine is on the 10k or one year with the millage my car covers it works out a service every 8 months or so. Doing it my self costs me less than £100 as you only need to replace things like the fuel filter every couple of years. I also keep an eye on my washer level and top it up as needed. I also make sure that things like the door hinges are lubricated. In fact I can't think of a time when I have paid for a service where I have been happy with what's been done.
owenfackrell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to owenfackrell For This Useful Post: