Thread: XC70: General - Elite Re-Map?
View Single Post
Old Jul 4th, 2018, 20:27   #11
Ant B

Quote:
Originally Posted by Potski View Post
What tends to bother me more about remaps isn't the extra power & torque released, its the ability of other components to deal with the improvements - most specifically the gearbox (and/or clutch if a manual) which must have a torque limit but I have no idea how you would find out what it is.

The engine may be fine but that's not helpful if another major component goes bang as a result
Yep, definitely something to bear in mind...

Years ago I had a mk4 Golf TDI, which I had remapped from 150bhp to 205bhp, for about £300, by a guy who came to my house and plugged a laptop in for 20 mins.

It absolutely flew after that, the torque was just silly, but within a week the clutch was slipping, so it cost me around £600 to fit an uprated one. Then it was too fast to get round corners so I spent about £800 on Koni FSD shocks and some lowering springs. Then I couldn’t slow down enough for corners, so I spent another £500 upgrading the brakes; that bargain remap unbalanced the whole car and probably cost me about £2.5k of mods in the end!!

Obviously adding another 20bhp to a 2-tonne Volvo estate isn’t in the same ballpark, but bear in mind the extra stress you’ll put on engine, clutch, gearbox, brakes etc., especially if the car is 8-10 years old in the first place...