View Single Post
Old Jul 15th, 2019, 15:08   #1
brm

Default V70 2.4d won't start at all, dash lights on ok

Volvo V70 2.4d automatic, 55 plate, 130k miles, recently serviced.
I'm stuck in the Lakes, broken down (thankfully) outside of the holiday accommodation near Kendal. The car won't start at all, hasn't done so since last Wednesday apart from once only.
When I put the key in, the lights appear on the dash, they go out as normal and then nothing. There is a faint click but not one that I would associate with the engine trying to start. There is also an extremely faint whirring tone if I keep turning-pressure on the key. The engine makes no attempt to kick over and there are no loud clicks.
I've taken it out of Park and into Drive and Reverse a few times as suggested in a previous post but that hasn't worked.
When the car did start (once, on Friday), this was after a few attempts and the engine did kick in. My OH moved the car a few yards and tried to rev the engine but it was running on very low revs and would not accellerate at all. As he didn't trust the car, he parked it up again and it has been here ever since. Each time I try to start it, nothing at all happens.
We are in the AA so will probably get them out tomorrow if we can't get anywhere with this, but even if so, any info on here would be extremely helpful. If the AA team can't get the car going, I'm not sure if it would be better to be towed home (Northumberland) or to have it taken to a good repairer / auto-electrician locally, but I don't know any here. Any tried and tested recommendations would be great!
Thank you for any advice you can offer please!
Janine

Last edited by brm; Jul 15th, 2019 at 16:36.
brm is offline   Reply With Quote