Thread: GLT or GLE
View Single Post
Old May 14th, 2010, 01:08   #19
foggyjames
300 Register Keeper

Nah, the seats and so on are all pretty much the same. It was just that the engine is spinning more slowly...less noise. It's not really a problem at UK speeds, but if you're in Germany and want to do 90+ for any amount of time, an injection car with the shorter 3.64:1 diff gets a bit buzzy and harsh. I forget the exact numbers for the GLT now, but 100mph is almost exactly 4000rpm in a carb model, but nearly 5000 in an injection car.

It also hits the fuel economy (together the higher state of tune of the injection model). The carb engined cars (B200K...the older B19A may well be more thirsty) will do 40+ to the gallon at 70mph as long as the carb is healthy, whereas a GLT will be closer to 30, typically. The carb model is slower, but there's not much in it...the silver car (my 360, pre-modifications) is a carb model, and the black one is a GLT...

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.

I'm biased towards the carb cars, but I'd happily buy either. I'd buy whatever comes up in good condition...i.e. without much rust!

To be honest...if it's just a cheap runaround....if you're only going to do up to 70mph (they'll go faster....110+....but drink fuel) and aren't bothered about acceleration, I'd get a 1.4 (but make sure it's a 5-speed!). Better on fuel, cheaper to insure and tax...and usually cheaper to buy. 360s are more luxurious, but there's something about the sheer simplicity of a 1.4 which is very addictive. I only stopped using my 1.4 because the body got to be a real mess.

cheers

James

'13 V70 D4 SE Lux
'89 740 Turbo Intercooler
'88 360 Turbo Intercooler
'84 360 GLT
'81 343 GLS R-Sport
'79 343 DL
'70 164
foggyjames is offline   Reply With Quote