Thread: Questions
View Single Post
Old Jun 11th, 2021, 10:32   #3
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100K+ View Post
After a mechanical breakdown ( no compression on No2 cylinder) I'm giving serious consideration to parting company with my 2004 V70R manual 126k miles.
My options I suppose are to sell for spares or repair or break the car up for parts. I suspect from reading other advice breaking up is the most profitable option. However what do you do with the "bits no one wants"? Will the scrap man come along with a Hi-ab?
Moving the car becomes an issue if you sell the wheels/tyres on day one, and I have no "leave it here "space...
Advise from those who have been through this process would be most appreciated. The car has lots of under 2yr old bits tyres/brakes/ driveshaft and turbo.
What I want for the car I suspect is a lot more than people would be prepared to pay, but I would also appreciate comments valuation too. I see cars on ebay/autotrader of £300-800 then see a set of 18" Pegasus wheels of £ 800....

Cheers
Bob
What's the nature of the fault causing the lack of compression on #2 Bob?

I think a lot of people would want to know that so they had an idea whether it was salvagable as a runner relatively cheaply if it's within the scope of their abilities or whether it's just a parts mule or "labour of love" rebuild job.

The other thing most will want to know is what sort of money you're looking for. That would also influence whether it would become a parts mule/labour of love resto or whether it's a fairly cheap repair for someone capable of DIY fixes.

You're in an unenviable position overall though, it's a car you've had a while from the sound of it and now you're faced with a choice of two undesirable outcomes. Breaking it yourself is undoubtedly more profitable than selling as a complete car but as you say, you'd have to get the local scrap man with his Hiab to remove it once stripped. Depending on the price of scrap metal at the time, it could range from you getting paid for the remains of the shell to you having to pay to get it removed.

Good luck with it whatever you decide though.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: