Thread: Questions
View Single Post
Old Jun 11th, 2021, 12:50   #7
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100K+ View Post
I LOVE the car....had it since 2008. Have been advised its a 5hr head removal + 5 hr refit. Repairs to the head are extra ie valves and or guides. Additionally been advised that other bits should be replaced "while we are in there". Fortunately, cam belt was done 18 month back and PCV system refurbished 12 month back, but they are still talking "sensors".
If the head is removed surely the valves should be re-seated and would this not then need the shims to be changed at more expense.
I can see this job costing towards £2000, and as much as I love this car this looks like proving to be the straw etc....

There is a thread about this issue here :-

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=317356

I have not updated it recently, but the feeling earlier was the issue was burnt valve, rather than H. gasket or split liner. There is still no sign of oil in the header tank or over pressure.

I'd rather see the car go to someone who would be able to repair ( or attempt repair) than break the car for parts, even if more profitable.

What the car is worth at present I don't know. As stated earlier there are lots of new bits and relatively new bits. The interior is in very good nick, with no rips/tears and only really minor wear to the bolsters.

If I could recoup the £2000 I spent at Christmas I think I'd let it go.. But Clan has seeded my mind with doubts .....again ....cos apart from a V70T5 (manual only) there is no other Volvo I'd rather have - and that includes all the fancy XC's.....

What to do ???? what to do???

Cheers
Bob
Have you got one of these?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/274421659779

If not, get yourself one and pull #2 plug and poke it in there and have a look. You may find that #2 piston has a hole in it which would cause total loss of compression or indeed that one or other of the valves are bent or burned.

If it's the latter, the cheapest way of doing things would be to buy a secondhand head (or complete reconditioned head), head gasket set, head bolts, new timing belt and possibly water pump and belt tensioners and fit the replacement head to it. If you ask nicely on the forum, you'll probably find someone willing to do it for beer vouchers - considerably less than the amount quoted by the garage.

However, if you do a decoke and clean/lap the valves, you will need to check and set the valve clearances and this almost always involves the use of shims - no getting round this if that engine uses shims. However i was always of the understanding the whiteblocks all used hydraulic tappets requring no routine adjustment. I could of course be wrong on that as i haven't had much to do with the whiteblock but the fact that the garage was talking about sensors without even looking at it to confirm your fault is worrying.

Ball park figures from a quick ebay search (i don't know the exact engine type on yours so searched for V70 and narrowed it down to 5 cylinder petrol) shows some used heads at £150-200, head bolt sets £20-40 (new) head gaskets sets £60-80 so for about £320 ish (maybe less) plus of course oil/filter and fresh antifreeze and timing belt etc as above (say £400 total) and some beer vouchers for a nearby member capable of changing the head you should have it sorted.

However please confirm whether it's a burned piston or valves first! Would be horrible to spend out and then find the piston had a hole you could drive a bus through!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: