Thread: Questions
View Single Post
Old Jun 11th, 2021, 19:27   #10
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 100K+ View Post
1) Yep I have a Clarke 'scope only 320 x 200 resolution but enough to tell me that there aint no hole in piston, and spent ages trying to remove bits of what I thought were coil spring, only to realise they are imprints in the pistons - ( confirmed this on a block shimming u-tube vid) Due to spark plug hole length and rigid first 1.5" there is no way to adjust scope to look back up and see the valves.

2) A refurb. head might a possibility - will look into this further thank-you. A 2nd hand scrap yard head might be as bad as the head I have????

3) Think you might be right re hydraulic tappets - will run that past VIDA tonight - I certainly have never adjusted them either in my T5 or the R.

4) I do have a place to "store" the car ( long wide drive)

5) You guys have been super supportive and encouraging me to continue, but I have to say in a similar vein to what others have felt when things are going wrong, part of me just wants to get rid and have done. Draw a line in the sand and move on. What/where I go .....who knows I'm a weather vane in a storm.

Cheers
Bob
1) Sounds like the "pockets" for the valves - 4 in total, two for the inlet, the other two for the exhaust to avoid valve to piston contact in normal use.

2) A secondhand head might also be as good as your head was and if there is a problem with it, you could almost certainly make one good one from the two so you're still further forward.

3) A thought crossed my mind. It's unusual but sometimes happens if oil changes are skipped or low quality oil is used that the hydraulic tappets clog up so they no longer get proper oil pressure and therefore don't expand to take up the clearance or lift the valves.
You would have heard some valve-train related clatter at some point though before the misfire started. Would be even more unusual for a pair of hydraulic tappets to clog in the same cylinder but it might be a possibility. More a case of something to be aware of on the off-chance than a likelihood though.

4) Always useful to have storage!

5) You've had your car about the same amount of time as i've had my other beast - bought it 29/2/2008 and recently faced something similar with mine. It's not sorted yet but it is usable so i'm a bit ahead of you on that score but at one point it had me thinking do i cut my losses etc.
Short answer is no. Longer (but not longest) answer is what would i replace it with and how many problems would that have all needing sorting out and at what cost? It might be you decide to seel your V70 for say £800 and buy something else for £800 - no gain or loss on the money side as yet.
However, two months down the road when you find you've bought somebody elses problems that they hid well enough for you to buy it, you've got a cart-load of problems costing £2000 to sort out. You'll wish you'd spent that money sorting your V70 then.

All we can do is offer advice but i think most if not all of us are hoping you find a way to get this one sorted, i'm confident that if you keep it and sort it out, you'll be glad you did!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post: