View Single Post
Old Mar 26th, 2020, 20:20   #3
zchael6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrest View Post
Does the rev counter drop to zero just before it stalls? If so, that would point more to the crank position sensor on top of the bell housing. A bit difficult to reach and even harder to see. The wire tends to wear where it joins the sensor.

There are other things that will cause this related to both ignition and fuel. The other two I have personal experience of are failure of the in-tank fuel pump and problems with the fuel pump relay. With fuel feed problems you’re more likely to see the dash warning lights illuminate before the revs drop to zero.

A 1998 car will have a single high-pressure fuel pump in the tank. Early cars have a low pressure pump in the tank and a main pump under the car. You should be able to hear if the pump starts when you turn the key. It’s failure to do so could be either the relay (easy to change) or the pump (less easy to change). Stalling on a hill might be a clue the problem is fuel related but there are no guaranteed shortcuts to pinpointing the fault.

For other possible causes try the FAQ or await replies from folk who’ve experienced them.
The rev counter just drops to zero yes. The first job I did on the car was the cam belt so perhaps it is something to do with the crank position sensor? When I ddI the cam belt I took the belt off thinking all the timing marks were aligned but I was looking at the wrong white blob on the cam shaft pully and so had to align the marks with the belt off. The problem seems to having gotten worse since I added some meths to the tank (thinking it was water in the fuel). Tonight I just managed to limp home. It wouldn’t occasionally get going and id do another 500m down the road before it cut out again. Had to push it the last 100m.

Thanks for the reply. Really appreciate it
zchael6 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zchael6 For This Useful Post: