View Single Post
Old Jan 14th, 2018, 13:07   #4
Proghound
Volvo and Audi owner

Hello and welcome to the forum

I can add information on some of these.

2) Service light: if it's saying 'book time for service' or 'time for regular service' then this procedure is what you want.

However if it's saying 'Engine system service required' then there is a fault somewhere. On a D5 the first place I'd look is the oil level: there should be a sticker on the engine cover or front slam panel showing a max level of about 2/3rds between MIN and MAX on the dipstick, but this is often missed by dealers who simply top it up before sale. If the oil is above that level (i.e. you can't see two full XX's on the dipstick), drain some out and the message will go away after a week or so of daily use. If that's not the issue, then you will need to get it scanned with Volvo's VIDA software to identify the codes reported.

3) Remap. Just to add to comments, you really don't want to increase the output on a Geartronic because the factory engine map is already torque-limited to 350Nm compared to the manual version's 400Nm, and is even further reduced in 1st, 2nd and 3rd to avoid straining the transmission. The 'box can't cope with what the engine is already capable of as standard, so any remap involving higher output will probably kill it. The box is also the reason you won't get much in the way of economy, it's rather inefficient.

4) Lights. You can look at HID replacement, but the best trade-off between cost and effectiveness will be i) to raise the beam level from its woefully low factory setting, and ii) to take the projectors out of the light units and clean then up. Both of these are really easy, thanks to the headlights coming out of the car just by taking out the one pin holding each of them in. There are various threads in this section of the forum giving you all the information you will need.

Best of luck with your new C70 and hope you get plenty of opportunity to enjoy it in the better weather.

Current: 2012 C70 D3 SE Lux Solstice Geartronic, Caspian Blue.
Also: 2002 Audi A2 TDI SE, Crystal Blue
Previous: 2008 C70 D5 SE manual, Flint Grey.

Last edited by Proghound; Jan 14th, 2018 at 13:09.
Proghound is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Proghound For This Useful Post: