View Single Post
Old Jan 15th, 2018, 20:32   #18
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Just my two penneth....

With regard the DRL's - the software costs around £15 I think then you will probably need 30 mins of dealer time so total cost around £70 I guess. It's quite a common process and I don't see why the dealer would not want to apply a Volvo factory software option that they can order just like any other part. Just to clarify the law - DRL's became mandatory for all cars being submitted for type approval post 2011, so there are many newer cars that don't have them. They are not part of the statutory vehicle lighting system and not a testable item on the MOT (unless they are the wrong colour etc.)

With regard to the headlamps, the best way to improve them is to replace the reflectors, further gains can be had by installing a HID kit in combination with an appropriate reflector. There are a few articles on here about it. LED's rarely work well in these lamps, neither does just fitting a HID kit.

With regard to chipping - the D5 engine in the Ford platform (30,40,50,70) was de-tuned slightly for cooling limitations and as has been pointed out is torque limited in 1st & 2nd to stay within the design limits of the gearbox. Most remaps remove this limit, you do see a few D5's on e-bay as "spares or repair" due to failed gearboxes so beware.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote