View Single Post
Old Mar 10th, 2011, 11:34   #2
Oilydad
Premier Member

Cool

Hi Colin:

Although I've moved on from my 240 GLE, which was my second Volvo back in the 80's, we used it extensively to tow our caravan at the time.

We had a Viking Fibreline 4 berth caravan in those days. Similar to this 2 berth one that I found on Google pics, although ours was in far better condition!!

These were one of the few caravans that were made from fibreglass. Lovely to look after, but very, very heavy, and certainly much heavier than the vans of today. Technology has moved on. Nobody stressed out about 'noseweights' and all that stuff years ago. You just stuck your caravan on the towbar and off you went! Life was much simpler....and, I have to say... better!!

Makes me laugh looking at it now...it looks SO ancient....but we had a hell of a lot of fun with it. I was scuba diving at the time, and it became the "Club Base" for many an expedition. You'd be surprised how the aroma of bacon sarnies first thing in the morning can bring half the club flocking to your door!! Our children had holidays that they would never have had without it, and the average cost for a nights stay on most sites was about 4 quid. Happy Days!

We took it abroad several times, and as far as Skye and Cornwall in the UK. We still caravan, but with a much smaller and more modern van now. We don't go as far now either, because we now weigh up the difference between taking the caravan or using a hotel or B&B whichh often is cheaper now when the astronomic cost of fuel is factored in.

The 240 (Manual) towed it everywhere without a murmur, took it all in its stride. It was one of the best tow cars I ever owned. We ALWAYS used a stabiliser. I think they should be compulsory, although most vans these days have them built in.

You won't have any problems.

Enjoy your caravanning.

Last edited by Oilydad; Mar 10th, 2011 at 11:49.
Oilydad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Oilydad For This Useful Post: