View Single Post
Old Apr 6th, 2018, 12:26   #6
Tannaton
Bungling Amateur

Quote:
Originally Posted by c_lee View Post
A few years ago when we had the Lunar Clubman I decided ( after using it frequently ) to take it to the weighbridge after seeing the penalties for overweight.

I was gobsmacked - we were way over with the caravan.

So much so that I'd be embarrassed to say - 'go on' - OK then, 200KG + in a 1,100 KG MTPLM caravan.

I usually checked the nose weight before each tow but didn't think we carried that much.

This was just a few days before a long trip to Cornwall so it was panic stations.

We completely emptied the caravan and went through the contents with a fine toothed comb.

Redistributed some weight to the car etc.

I bought a CWC and now, in the Charisma, load it in the same way each time we go away having got the loading between car and caravan and nose weight right.

I still do a 3 axle weight check with the CWC on occasions though - usually before a long trip.

It is amazing how much we used to carry at one time, years ago - much of it just in case.

I often see posts elsewhere from people who never check - the 'I can lift the tow hitch so it's OK ' brigade and been doing it for years, 'never had any problems'.

Probably never had a roadside check either and had to ditch content or paid an overweight fine ( or worse ).

Ignorance, to them, is bliss.

Colin
Just on this point - I've not heard of DVSA doing nose weight checks before, they generally carry axle scales now but not sure how they would measure nose weight? Has anyone any experience of doing this?

FYI the Mk1 XC90 has a maximum nose weight of 90Kg in the UK, in Australia the structurally identical car is rated 180 Kg and I think this is more to do with the legislation in some states of AU stipulating that the nose weight must be a minimum of 7% of the trailer weight.

I personally like to tow with a good nose weight and I think this aids stability - especially on Nivomat equipped cars. I'm sure I've gone over 90kg's on more than 10 occasions.

The penalties for overweight vehicles and trailers aren't actually that harsh, they are:

0.01 - 9.99% - £100
10%-14.99% - £200
15%-29.99% - £300
30% > - court summons & prohibition order

There is a 5% advised discretion but it is just that (i.e. overloads of up to 5% can be overlooked). They are non-endorsable penalties - i.e. no points on license.

FYI a Land Rover Discovery has a maximum nose weight of 250Kg.
1977 Triumph Spitfire 1500
1976 Massey Ferguson 135

Last edited by Tannaton; Apr 6th, 2018 at 12:31.
Tannaton is offline   Reply With Quote